Monday, June 21, 2010

Today in class, Carl and Peter taught us on writing outlines. Carl said, " You need a hook to start your paragraph and then a thesis statement."
He told us that you shouldn't state facts but your opinion and it should be arguable against and for it. I didn't know that, but I knew what a hook and thesis was.
Peter then spoke," You need an intro and a body to prove your thesis. You would just keep on proving your thesis for your body paragraph. The conclusion would be to repeat your topic sentence."
Then Carl's new assistance who's name I forgot found a story and Carl read it to us. It was called 'Abraham Lincoln didn't Quit'. I think it was called that, but he told us that Abraham started from poverty, face debt and bankruptcy twice and when running for legislature and government, he failed many times till he succeeded.
Then we moved on to public speaking. We learned that when you mess up, just keep on going and pretend it was part of what you were going to say. Also confidence is the number 1 thing in speaking. You can also take a drink of water and for that 3 or 4 seconds think of what you are going to say. We were all going to do a speech from Winston Churchill. It was called 'We Shall Fight On The Beaches' I think. When it was my turn I emphasized the words like Carl told me to, but I emphasized I think one to many. I thought it would be horrible, but Carl said it was okay. I wasn't trying to make some laughs but doing what Carl had exampled and showed to all of us. In all, today's class was pretty well.


2 comments:

  1. Ooh, this is good! You don't have to continue using dialogue, but it's nice to see that you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a great time! I'm glad that you're blogging so much. Other people's blogs that I'm looking at have so little words on their blog it's sad! And today we're going to do yet another speech so be ready for that!

    ReplyDelete